Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Respect the Tie


    Me being a style guy I totally understand trends, but I also respect classic fashion. Bow ties and Fedoras are the in thing now, but during the roaring twenties and the Harlem Renaissance they were acceptable norms for a classy gentleman. I know I should evolve with fashion and I do (often), but there comes a time when fashion evolution diminishes the classics and takes away the sole function of accessories. I relish in the fact that youths are accessorizing with classic style. It does my heart good to see young men in hand tied bow ties, oxford shirts, lace-up shoes, blazers, and fedoras showing pride in their appearances. But, some people are making a mockery of classic looks. I have a few pet peeves with some of the evolutionary trends. Please fellas! I beg of you not wear clip-on or pre-tied bow ties, don’t wear a bow tie with a t-shirt or a winter fedora with shorts in the summer; keep it classy.


If preppy is your look there are rules to that look also. When I was in high school we had an official guide to pull off the look, it was called The Official Preppy Handbook. Through an aggressive search I found the 1980’s publication on Amazon. It’s worth the investment. Until next week, stay Style Connected!



No comments:

Post a Comment